5 Benefits of Prenatal Massage
Massages are not only an incredibly relaxing and enjoyable way to pamper yourself, they can be incredibly beneficial to the body. Studies have indicated that professional massage can reduce stress, pain and muscle tension, and it can also help with anxiety, digestive disorders, fibromyalgia, headaches, stress-related insomnia, myofascial pain syndrome, soft tissue strains or injuries, sports injuries and more.
Benefits of Prenatal Massage
Considering the extensive changes that a woman’s body undergoes during pregnancy, it is no surprise that research has suggested that prenatal massage can help remedy negative effects and support the body. It can assist in supporting muscle and joint function, relieving physical and mental stress, and improving circulation. Prenatal massage eases many of the aches and discomfort commonly associated with pregnancy, and helps the woman prepare for a smooth labor process. More specifically, prenatal massage yields the following benefits:
1. It relieves many of the discomforts that are common to pregnancy, such as back pain, muscle discomfort, headaches, stiffness, leg cramps, heartburn, acid reflux, varicose veins, edema, constipation and more. It can also reduce stress on joints and bones so that the woman experiences a more comfortable pregnancy. This provides the mother with a safe and natural alternative for pain relief, as opposed to taking medications which can lead to health risks.
2. It improves blood circulation, allowing more nutrients and oxygen to flow to mother and baby, and stimulates the lymphatic system, which increases the body’s immunity and helps to remove harmful toxins from the body. It also releases endorphins that relax and soothe the mother, helping her to get better sleep.
3. It helps to relieve the anxiety and depression that often occur as a result of hormonal changes in pregnancy by stabilizing the mother’s hormonal levels. The sedating effect caused by massage can help to promote both stress relief and relaxation.
4. It regulates overall blood pressure and relieves pressure on the heart. It also enhances the blood flow to the placenta and uterus as well as back to the heart.
5. It promotes skin pliability and improves muscle flexibility, which aids in the mother’s ability to carry an ever-growing baby.
Additionally, there is something incredibly soothing about the gentle, skin-on-skin contact that occurs during massage that can simply nurture an individual emotionally. Pregnancy can be wonderful and miraculous, but it is also very hard work, and a mother who receives all of the physical and emotional support she needs tends to have a smoother and happier pregnancy, labor and delivery. Please check with your doctor before scheduling a prenatal massage to ensure that you and your baby would both benefit from this pampering service.
Leave a Reply